Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Owen is babywised! (again)

If you don't know about babywise then you should check it out.  When I first read it I was like "hey this makes sense" then you get home with a newborn and you are like "heck no, I am not waking that sleeping baby".  I did a mild version of their philosophy and I have to say it works.  Owen was sleeping a 6 hour stretch followed by a 3 hour or 4,4,and 4 hours at 8 weeks.  Well, then I got cocky.  I did playgroups, shopping, errand running, hanging out for hours at my girl Caroline's house, and just generally not keeping Owen on a schedule and one day I realize my sleeping baby was no longer sleeping through the night.  Well, after one day of making him nap more regular I am again amazed by the principles of the babywise books.  Sunday night he slept from 10:30 to 6am, Monday night 10pm-7am and last night from 9pm-7am.  If only I had gone to bed at 9pm with him instead of midnight I might not be as tired.  How in the world more sleep or regular sleep creates better night sleep I don't know, but I will take it!!  As I am typing this my precious bundle is in his woombie out like a light!  

Once you have read the book then check out this great blog that helps trouble shoot some questions:  Babywise Mom

I would be interested to hear what methods you use to get your babies to sleep thru the night and feeding schedules. 

3 comments:

  1. i did babywise too and swear by it!! even with my 5-yr-old, sleep begets sleep. don't know why but it WORKS!! and a well-rested mama = a BETTER mama, at least in my case!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Did Babywise with my twin girls as soon as they came home from the hospital! Our bedtime just kept getting earlier and earlier and by 6 months, they were going to sleep at 6:30pm (allowing MIL to come over for some much needed date-nights once a week) and sleeping until 8am. One thing that stood out in the book (in my opinion) was the importance of a set waketime! We wanted ours to be 8am, so we kept pushing that last early-morning feeding until it was finally at 8am. Then we would actually wake them up if they were still asleep at 8am and it worked so well! (Also, if they just had to have a bottle at 6:30am, we still got them up and fed them again at 8am. Worked like a charm!) Good luck, but it doesn't sound like you need luck anymore! Way to go! He's such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't do Babywise. We did the Happiest Baby on the Block method with Dr. Karp and his 5 S's. Charlotte responded really well to that, but she was sleeping through the night pretty quickly so I didn't have to use Babywise. I know a lot of people put those two methods "against" each other. I think that's crap. I think you have to do what's best for your baby individually.

    Charlotte quickly fell into a routine once I went back to work and she was at daycare, waking up at pretty much the same time.

    I'm glad Babywise is working for Owen! He's so stinkin' cute, Jeanna, I just want to squeeze his little cheeks!

    ReplyDelete