Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Owen: sleeping and eating

So, I posted Owen's 4 month post several weeks after I wrote it, due to I am very lazy when it comes to uploading pictures and I feel a post about Owen needs pictures.  So, the schedule I had posted is not current.  We have entered a new phase and I am note sure what to do about his sleeping.

First off, Owen is 16 pounds and 1 oz at his 4 month appointment or 90th percentile; 25+ inches or 75th %.  So we are not worried about him gaining weight and growing seems my milk is doing its job.

We enjoyed several weeks of glorious sleep until one night a week ago.  Owen began waking at 3am needing to nurse. The past few nights he has gotten up around 1 or 2 and then again at 5 or 6.  My first thought was growth spurt, but I though these only lasted a few days.  We are going on a week or more right now.

We have started trying to do some cereal, but so far not much is getting in before Owen becomes aggravated and is done.  One good plus is that my milk supply has never been an issue (hope I am not jinxing myself).

Jess:  thanks for your concern, I always enjoy hearing from you.  If you reread I was feeding Owen 6 times a day.  Now we are back at 8 and from his growth that the doctor is charting it seems he is gaining appropriately. If you have any suggestions on getting him to sleep through the night again let me know!  I have found tips from other mom's are the best.  We are hoping this is just a phase and we will be back to sleeping through the night again. 

Thanks to everyone for their comments, I love reading them!!

7 comments:

  1. i think you are an excellent mother! you know Owen better than anyone and you are feeding him on demand... he couldn't be doing any better!! He's beautiful and health and very very happy!! Emma didn't sleep through the night until she was 9 months old, getting up at least once and while i really wanted to sleep i knew she wouldn't do it forever and that one day i'd wish i could have that time with just her. you cherish these moments... just catch up on your zzzz's during the day!! This too shall pass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son was born 2/18 so we are one wk behind you. When I read your 4th month post I thought- enough is enough I have to go get a baby wise book bc my precious little does NOT sleep through the night. Now that I read this it makes me feel a little better. My son goes to bed between 7-9 (I know, kind of a big gap) and wakes up at 2am and 530am on the dot. I just started cereal today and he doesn't have much patience for it either. I'm excited to hear if you find the answer! I need one I love my sleep :). (my 2 yr old slept through the night when she was like 2 wks old so this seems so crazy to me! We like sleepy in this house!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reassuring me!! :) Good job, momma :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corinne did the same thing. I can't remember what your sleeping ritual was but for the first 2-3 months Corinne was sleeping on my chest so I think the 4-month time of her life was about missing us and being hungry. I actually got up in the middle of the night to give her a change and then bottle for her first year even though it's around 9 months (I think) that they're supposed to outgrow that. It's hard to say no! You're doing fine. Just hang in there;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first, Colton did the same thing right about four and a half months. That is when I put him on Tracy Hogg's E.A.S.Y. routine. It was suggested by a close friend. I tried it, and LOVED it. Within a week he was sleeping 7pm-7am with a dreamfeed at 10:30 or so. It was amazing!!! He would eat every four hours during the day.
    Tracy Hogg's book is called, "The Baby Solves All Your Problems." You can find it on amazon for under $15. I put my second son on it at 4 weeks and he was sleeping the same schedule within 2 weeks.
    Hope this helps some.
    ~Carrie (http://www.earlstwins.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, It's Amy. It's not letting me comment with my Google account. Weird.

    Anyway, do you swaddle? Have you tried the Woombie? I never used the Woombie with Charlotte, but people say they can't break out of it like a swaddle and it works like a charm.

    If he's too big for the Woombie...try the Miracle Sleep Suit. Apparently that's good for transitioning out of the swaddle. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just posted about this very topic! Noah seemed to be on a good sleeping schedule and last night was a disaster. I think it's their way of reminding us who the REAL boss is :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete