Sunday, November 20, 2011

breastfeeding and formula

I know I am very lucky that Owen and I have been so successful in breastfeeding.  I have many friends who wanted to breastfeed and were unable to for one reason or another.  I feel guilty that I am in the process of weaning him.  There is no one reason, but I decided it was time. I have to admit I am proud of the fact that my body was able to produce milk and that Owen didn't have a drop of formula till after 9 months.  But it was time.  I need to be able to have others give him milk.  I can tell at times he is wanting to do things himself.  It is part of growing up.

My original goal was to nurse to one year, then to 11 months when he could have cows milk. But due to some other reasons I decided to move up our goal.  So when I purchased the first can of formula I felt so guilty, I wanted to hid it in the cart.  When I got home I had to read the container I felt like such a novice measuring that powder and water.  I was overjoyed that Owen didn't just gulp it like it was juice!  Though now that he doesn't really taste much a difference between the formula vs frozen breastmilk.

Oh and if you are wondering what formula, I went with wally world brand.

Owen's eating schedule was:

  • 9am: nurse and eat puffs and yogurt
  • 12pm: nurse and eat puffs and 4oz baby food 
  • 4:30pm: nurse and eat a snack
  • 6pm: eat dinner, 4 oz baby food and some table food
  • 7:30pm: nurse and go to bed
His eating is the same except the 12pm and 4:30pm are now replaced with formula through a straw.

TMI Warning:  I got AF!  (for the first time since before Owen!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment