Sunday, September 11, 2011

Owen: 7 months/remembering 9-11

Today we remember 9-11, ten years ago and the innocent people who lost their lives and all the soldiers who lost their lives defending our country after the attack.  I am remembering the people who keep us safe so that I can live my life raising this precious little boy.  Thank you to anyone who is reading this that has family or friends that they are remembering today.

There is not many times in our life that we can remember the exact moment and time where we were in time.  10 years ago today, I was sitting on the lawn on the UNCG campus drawing buildings for a class.  I remember all of a sudden we noticed that students were acting strangely, crying, walking quickly.  It was in between class time so we knew something was up.  We ran back to our classroom, someone had a radio on and we tried to figure out what was happening.  Our professor canceled class and I headed back to my dorm room in time to watch the replay of the plane hitting the 2nd tower.  My Mom saw it happen live.  My sorority sisters were mostly gathering together all trying to figure out what was going on and we were calling family members to absorb the shock together.

So, where am I ten years later?  Well, I am living 45 minutes from where I was that day.  I am married, I have 2 sons in heaven and 1 here in my arms.  I am heading to church to remember the church members that have passed away this year and remembering 9-11 during our service.  Then we will be having a carry-in lunch in the Hut.  I will probably spend the afternoon at home letting my little boy nap and hopefully get together with some friends for dinner.  I wonder if in ten years I will remember this day as clearly.

I think it is fitting to remember this past month on this day, I would like to think that those who gave their lives would tell us to cherish our lives...because every moment, every minute is so precious and special.

I dedicate this month of remembering Owen to those people we are remembering today. 

  • eating everything in site!  You are so willing to open your mouth and try everything...well except for anything with a texture!  You will gag and make the funniest faces if it has too much texture!
  • you have tried: mangos, bananas, peaches,  (yes we both found them disgusting out of the jar), lima beans, kiwi, re-fried beans, a tiny sip of a mocha decaf frap (ops! forgot how good you are with a straw!) i am sure there is more foods I am forgetting! 
  • when you nurse you have started the funniest thing:  if I don't let you hold onto my face/chin (b/c you might scratch me) then you will scratch your head and drag your hand from your forehead to the back of your head like you are nervous or stressed out!  You look like a little old man when you do this!
  • you have learned to sit up, though I still need to be nearby to spot you
  • you do the funniest crunches throughout the day! Yup my baby almost has abs of steel...IF he didn't have rolls of chub covering them!
  • You lift your legs and bottom in the air when I change your diaper to help me.
  • You like it when I clean your nose with the air bulb from the hospital....you think it is a fun game!!  
  • You got the sniffles from teething just a few days from turning 7 months and you have been making the funniest face and sniffing in and out very quickly!
  • You are TOTALLY working on your top teeth and I wasn't ready for the bottom 2, but they are pretty cute so I figure the top ones will be cute too!  But don't feel like you have to grow up too fast!
  • You pat the books when I read them too you and all I want for my birthday is a chair I can put in our sunroom so we can read together.  I want to spend all my time in that room with you!
  • You are still nursing and we haven't tried a bottle in months!  I am so proud of us!!  If you had asked me if we would get this far I would have never believed it!  
  • Here is a sample of the schedule we have been living:  wake up at 7 and coo with daddy before work (from your crib), sleep till 9am, get up, nurse, eat veggies, play in jumperoo, morning nap, get up at 12pm, nurse, sometimes eat another solid food, play/run errands, afternoon nap, at 3pm get up, nurse, play, quick nap before daddy gets home at 6pm, nurse, eat solids, play with daddy and then get ready for bed.  Nurse again at 10:30pm our most precious snuggle time.  Most days we miss one of those naps b/c we are so busy running errands or whatever, but you are flexible and do so good!!
  • You started swim lessons this month and LOVED it!!!  You splashed your face and mommy's face the whole time!  I am loving watching you enjoy your firsts!  We haven't dunked you yet, but I am sure it is coming!
doing his daily crunches

yup its documented, he is sitting up on his own!

very focused! love the faces he makes

stop the paparazzi, i have had enough 

look at that profile, so handsome!

he loves his daddy, and his scratchy beard!

first day at swim lessons

he did great!

No comments:

Post a Comment