Monday, September 3, 2012

Conversations with Owen

When Owen's pediatrician told me that he was advanced in his speech, I might have puffed with pride.  Chris and I call Owen our smart boy all the time!  I have a strong feeling that we will be dealing with learning disorders later in life so to start out ahead is a good thing!  We just need to keep it up!

 


By the end of 18 months, your child may: (source)
  • Point to an object or picture when it's named (Owen loves to point out items in books, or we play bring mommy the "object" and Owen finds it)
  • Recognize names of familiar people, objects and body parts (Owen point to almost any body part, and even can name most of the familiar family members and friends)
  • Follow simple directions accompanied by gestures (got this one!  This kid understands more than I know)
  • Say as many as eight to 10 words (LOL!  We stopped counting at 16 months when he was saying 50+ words)
By the end of 24 months, your child may:

  • Ask for common foods by name (Owen can ask for: strawberries, yogurt, cereal bars, milk, juice, water, chicken, ketch-up)
  • Use simple phrases, such as "more milk" (He has done a few of these, but my mind is drawing a blank on specifics) 
  • Begin to use pronouns, such as "mine" (not yet)
  • Ask one- to two-word questions, such as "Go bye-bye?" (not yet)
  • Follow simple commands without the help of gestures (oh yea!)
  • Say more words every month (yup)
  • Speak 50 words and understand more (yup)
Some of the more funny conversations I have with my son!
    • This morning as Owen was sitting next to daddy.  He asked for some "coppy" (coffee-first time saying that word).  He drank several sips making hilarious faces!!  Then he looked at daddy and said: "more guitar"!  This boy keeps us laughing!
    • Last night as I was sitting on the sofa in the living room, Chris was getting Owen out of the bath and I told him Owen had been helping me put lotion on his belly recently.  Then, I heard this from Chris:  "Son, it's way to early to be using lotion there--its getting a little weird son.  Rub it on you belly!"
    • One night as we were saying night-night prayers.  Owen thanked Jesus for his milk and me-me and he now says ahhhhh-men! Then he said "tawka jubba jubba, a mamma" which Chris and I both believe was "thank you Jesus for momma!" 
    • Counting:  Onne, tooo, onne, tooo, tooo, tree!
pretend play

riding the choo choo at the Park, his favorite thing!
one cool dude!


No comments:

Post a Comment