Monday, May 9, 2016

Owen: 5+

Owen is 5! 

We are registered for kindergarten in the fall. He can ride his bike (let me tell you that story!) he is learning to read (15 min a day we are working through the book-Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons). We are about halfway through and I am hoping to finish the book before the fall. He can do simple math and is learning how to use his fingers to figure it out. His brain is working over time and as much as kindergarten might make me sad I also see how ready he is to learn.  

Here is what he read today: the only words he had to sound out were did, feel and sad. Reading the "fast way"!!!


This morning on the way to school Owen told me he needed to tell his brain to remember to bring his show and tell.  I told Owen to tell his brain to wait till Thursday or Friday for show and tell. So, he gets silent, but thoughtful look on his face as "he's talking to his brain" and then announces that he told his brain. at this point I want to die laughing. I informed him those words in his head are called thoughts. Owen and his brain do a lot of thinking and a lot of talking. These were Big thoughts on the way to school today.

Learning to ride his bike.  We had recently purchased a bike trailer for the kids to ride in and we hooked it up to Owen's bike! It was hilarious to see Owen pulling Jesse in the trailer. Then daddy suggested taking the training wheels off and having a lesson. Owen was all game until he realized it was a little scary. The lesson may have been a lot of stern talking from Chris saying "listen to me, petal when the bike starts moving, I am not letting go, etc". Owen was a whiney brat. I tired to remind them both it was supposed to be fun. Soon the long 15 minute lesson was over and we parked the bike for another day.  

Another day, I suggested Owen ride his bike with me to the mail box and he didn't want to because the training wheels were off.  I mentioned to Chris we may need to put them back on, but it was rainy and then we have been inside a lot due to pollen and my allergies. So the bike was left alone for several weeks. 

Our amazing niece was in a local production of pride and prejudice and so Chris and I had a day date! When we arrive home from the date we were amazed to see Owen riding his bike!!! He just hopped on and took off.  Even now we go outside and I am amazed he just does it! I guess it's true you don't forget how to ride a bike. 










No comments:

Post a Comment