Owen likes to look to his left. He usually stares at the wall on the changing table or while in his crib. Chris was the first to notice this and wonder if it is something we should be worried about, he did a little google research and basically Owen is probably fine, but this is something that is common and can lead to the need for physical therapy if not caught early enough. At his age they said to just turn his head for him. When he is on my shoulder getting burped he gets lots of time turning to the right. I am not really worried (yet) as he has great head control and will look both ways and I do find him sleeping with his head both ways a lot. Anyway, last night I noticed as he was looking to the left that his left leg was the dominate leg kicking while he was laying on the changing table. That got me worried that one side of his body was more dominate, but then I turned his head to the right and his right leg got a kicking! It must be a right/left brain thing at this stage of development. Chris and I found it to be very interesting. Also, I find that he doesn't look upward very often, I wonder if it is due to his wonderfully round head (c-section babies have pretty heads when born).
Has anyone else noticed their baby prefers to look one direction? Thoughts?
Wedding Wrecks, Fangirl Edition
6 days ago


When my baby was just a few weeks old, I noticed that he always looked to the right. I even wrote it down in my notebook to ask the doctor at our next visit, but by that time he had stopped doing it. I'm sure Owen will just outgrow this.
ReplyDeletehe can be checked for torticollis at his next well baby visit :)
ReplyDeleteAll three of my children did this. When I played with them on the floor, I held a toy above their head and moved it slowly back and forth to get them to look side to side. It worked great.
ReplyDeleteMaybe he is left handed!?! I really have no idea, but I wouldn't worry about it too much this early on. I never noticed anything like this with Will.
ReplyDeleteAll 3 of my kids had tortecollis. It's pretty common and as long as you keep him looking both ways you should be fine! We had to do PT with all 3, but it's just like baby yoga - not too bad. ;) He's so cute!!!
ReplyDeleteBrycen has the ability to look both ways but prefers to sleep looking to his right and look to his right but like the other ladies had said I have him do actvities that require him to look to his left and when on Tummy time or when Im holding him he has good head control so Im not worried....but I will be watching for sighn of tort
ReplyDelete