Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 1: swaddle/woombie weaning

So, yesterday I tested a little to see how Owen would do having his woombie unzipped a little.  If it was only a little he wasn't able to get his hands out and was fine. 

So, today I unzipped a little more.  The first nap when I checked on him his hands were still in.  The second nap didn't happen.  His arms were out and he played for an hour before crying.  I soothed him and put him back down for what I was hoping at least a 45 minute nap.  This time I put his arms in and left it unzipped about 3 inches.  Well, seems like he got one arm out immediately and began to cry instantly. After letting him cry for a while I knew it was pointless.  It was time for him to get up and eat in 20 minutes.  So, I got him up and he ate great and then jumped in his jumperoo, but it wasn't my usual happy baby he was whiny and tired.   So I gave up and put him back to bed, zipping the woombie all the way up.  Happy little boy got some good zzz's. 

So, now he is down for the night and since Chris' band, Stuck, is practicing he is again zipped to the chin.  I don't think he is asleep, but at least he isn't crying.

I might be purchasing the big Houdini woombies in the near future...I wonder if they make them in the adult size? 

what to do?  Has anyone had this problem?  How long did it take to wean from the swaddle and what age was your baby??
 


6 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with my son. I have heard when the baby can get out of the swaddle its time to ditch it. I didnt listen and purchased the houdini woombie, only to make matters worse. He spent more time trying to get out then actually sleeping. So one night we removed all swaddles like an old bandaid. He was about 4.5 months old. We had about 3 miserable nights, but then it was over. And looking back, I should have done it sooner.
    I dont know if you son can roll yet, but my son advance his rolling skills once out of the swaddle. He is now 6 months old and we went through a few weeks of experimenting, rolling, crawling and playing in his crib. Now, it takes about 15 mins to fall asleep and he sleeps on his belly. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. K weaned himself from the swaddle at probably 4 months. He just didn't seem to need it so we tried it and he sleep great and has continued. We did so the sleep sack until it got hot here and now he is just in pjs at 9 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeanna, thanks for stopping by my blog. I don't have any advice for the de-swaddle adventures, but good luck. Your little man is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my babies only tolerated a swaddle for their first weeks of life, that was it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went cold turkey! It was hard but only took a couple of days. YOu know how Wesley loved that swaddle thing! (April)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noah can't sleep without the swaddle, his arms totally wake him up. We started a double swaddle technique because he kept breaking out of the normal swaddle. It works great and I'm trying not to focus on weaning him because I know he needs it right now.

    ReplyDelete