Thursday, September 3, 2009

CD22: dr apt

I was nervous to have Chris go to a DR appointment with me. Actually, I was hoping the first one he would go on would be an ultrasound. I said this to him in the waiting room this morning and he said not to think that way and that this was ok too. I love him, he is wonderful. Basically the morning was a lot of waiting. Once we arrive, we waited about 15 minutes before going to the back. Then they weighed me and took my blood pressure, just to let us wait another 20 minutes!

Finally, we were face to face with Dr. L; she was great! She walked us through all our prior tests, going over the results again with us. For some reason his SA results were in a strange spot in the computer file, so it took her a few minutes to find them. I kept telling her that one of the nurses gave us the results so it HAD to be in there somewhere. Correspondence, this is where she found the results. She is having it moved in case we need to find them again. But, I am getting off topic...oh yes his results! So, Chris's sperm are little rock stars! Every number she would tell us, his was higher! Usually 10-30 million higher than normal! MILLIONS higher!!!!! I looked over a Chris's face and you could tell he was proud of his little men! Big grin on his face! He is proud of his millions!

Side note: honey, sorry for calling them "little" again, i know you don't like it; i dont mean it as little as in too small, but little as in cute! (i get in trouble with chris calling his sperm "little"!)

So, at this point Dr. L recommend we start 5 days of 50mg of clomid (see below for what it does). I will start the drug on cycle day 3. Then on day 21, I will have some blood taken to see how my progesterone level is. Basically, to see how strong my ovulation was. If it was not strong she will up the medication. Then after 3 cycles if we are still not PG :( we will head back to her office and start talking about artificial insemination (IUI). But, lets not go there yet. She is positive that since my charts are showing an ovulation that this is a good sign, much better chances than if I didn't ovulate at all. Positive thoughts and prayers!

Thanks to all my bump ladies for all your help, I think that knowing she was going to suggest clomid before hand was easier for Chris and I to take this step forward. We both talked about fertility drugs and feel that God has given the doctors this knowledge for a reason and at this point we are comfortable with the direction we are headed.

http://www.clomid.havingbabies.com/

Clomid, Clomiphene Citrate

Clomid is often a first line treatment to induce regular ovulation. Clomid works at the level of the hypothalamus where it competes for estrogen binding sites. When these "sites are occupied" by Clomid, the hypothalamus responds by producing more GnRH which then stimulates the pituitary to produce FSH. Remember, in a normal cycle healthy follicles produce estrogclomiden, which signals the hypothalamus to reduce production of FSH. Clomiphene is marketed in the United States by Aventis Laboratories as Clomid and by Serono Laboratories as Serophene.

The goal of Clomid therapy in treating infertility is to establish normal ovulation rather than cause the development of numerous eggs. Once ovulation is established, there is no benefit to increasing the dosage further . Numerous studies show that pregnancy usually occurs during the first three months of infertility therapy and treatment beyond six months is not recommended. Clomid can cause side effects such as ovarian hyperstimulation (rare), visual disturbances, nausea, diminished "quality" of the cervical mucus, multiple births, and others.

Clomid is often prescribed by generalists as a "first line" ovulation induction therapy. Most patients should undergo the fertility "workup" prior to beginning any therapy. There could be many causes of infertility in addition to ovulatory disorders, including endometriosis, tubal disease, cervical factor and others. Also, Clomid therapy should not be initiated until a semen analysis has been completed.

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck hon! I really hope clomid does the trick for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your blog today and thought I would offer you luck and prayers. I started my first round of clomid this cycle days 5-9. The main symptoms I experienced were mood swings and severe hot flashes. There was also some mild bouts of dizziness. Overall it wasn't too bad and it is a small price to pay for the hopeful outcome. I go in tomorrow to see if I o'd this month. I haven't been charting so I have no clue if I did or not, but if I did it will be the first time in about 4 years. I am sending some baby dust your way and hope the clomid works for you.

    ReplyDelete