The class was very informative. I am very impressed with the paperwork they give out. There are three sheets I find myself looking at frequently.
- Sample Menu Ideas: it is heavy on skim milk as the protein as an example (I had thought I would have to give this up)
- Nutrient Content and Serving Size of the Six Food Groups: IE: carb quantity examples-this one also give great ideas for snacks and meal options
- Food Label Sample:
- Total Carbs: needs to be about 15 per serving for me to be willing to eat it
- FIber: higher the better
- Sugar: SINGLE DIGITS lower the better
- serving size
So, at the class we received our monitor and initicially I had some issues with the test strips having error readings and then got my first reading! 119! I had just eaten during the class earlier (apple and cheese), so this was a good reading! I was kinda excited to get going the next morning.
Well that was yesterday. I woke up and did my first fasting reading which was 89! Supposed to be 90 and below so just squeaked by! Yippee. I ate my breakfast cassorole (eggs, bacon, sausage, spinach and zuchinni). Drank my coffee with the littlest amount of creamer ever! Then 2 hours later went to prick my finger again. Tiniest amount of blood. Not enough for a reading and THEN the lance broke (the thing that pokes you). Talk about annoying.
Long story short. Spent the day on the phone with local wal.mart pharmacy and insurance company and figured out it is WAY cheaper to just buy the stuff over the counter. My test strips were going to be $120 a month, I was able to buy almost 2 months supply of everything and a new monitor and lance for about $100. Have I mentioned that my insurance sucks!
So, here I am today. Finally got my stuff and just took another reading: 83! They wanted 120 and less! Yippee, I am doing this! I can do this for Jesse and my health!
Here is the snack I enjoyed after my blood draw!
1/4 cup pumkin seeds, 1/4 cup blueberries, celery and natural no sugar added peanut butter! Treating myself to a coke at the end, chased with good old water!




you are doing great!
ReplyDelete