Thursday, October 22, 2009

medicad & insurance

I had left a message with a lady in the medicad office in Alamance county.  She called me back!  She said we should definatly apply. 

A little background on why we do not have maternity health insurance.  BlueCrossBlueSheild requires that you add maternity in November when the policy is being renewed.  Then you have to wait 6 months before getting pregnant.  There for you have to pay for the maternity coverage for 15 months at $500 a month that is $7500 if IF you get pregnant the first month.  In our case what could have happened was add the maternity (6 months) and try to conceive (14 months) equaling $10,000.  So, we decided that it would be better to pay out of pocket.  Well, what we didn't think would ever in a million years happend.  We are having twins, putting us into a high risk category and now we are stressing about medical bills.

So, anyway the lady from medicad had 2 suggestions for us.
  1. We can apply for medicad after we have the babies and have over 6k in unpaid bills.  There are some other requirments that we will have to figure out, but she thinks we could be approved.  In this case they would pay for 1 month of our bills, so most likely the delivery and any hospital say for that 30 days.
  2. The second option is even better (sort of).  If I go on bedrest and am no longer making an income we can apply and hopefully get the pregnacy medicad.  If we get this then ALL the bills will be paid for AND the babies health insurance will be paid for the first 13 months of their life!! This would be amazing. 
Of course we are not counting on either option actually happening but it is nice to know we might have a chance at getting some help.  Unfortunatly, I work for a company who does not do benifits and my husband's company is too small to have a health insurance group plan.

If anyone has any other suggestions for us, we are always open to hearing them!

2 comments:

  1. When I got pregnant, I only had major medical insurance which covered the babies once delivered, but did't cover pre-natal care. And yes, those perinatologists are expensive - especially every 2 weeks! I hope you find something that works for you! I'm praying that you see a membrane at your next appointment! Ours was hardly visible. And don't listen to those doctors... I didn't measure full term until I was 29 weeks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on twins! I just had 2 boys 4 months ago..it's a roller coaster but pretty cool!! Just wait till you start feeling both of them move!!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete