Owen Updates:
- Owen has had strictly breast milk, mostly from the breast! I have to say this is an accomplishment, it has been rocky with some damage to my nipples and incorrect latch and some tears. Some of those tough feedings Owen did get his mommy milk from the bottle. We had to do what was best for our family, we are not discouraged.
- We met with a lactation consultant on Wednesday so we have a new plan and it is working so far! We are loving the new nipple "top hat" or "sombrero" as Chris calls it. I am healing and feeding times are so much more enjoyable.
- Owen is getting WAY more food, feeding longer and Mommy isn't hurting like she was.
- Owen's Neana was here through Friday and took such good care of her baby, me, so I could care for my baby! She made some really great food, yummy healthy snacks, did our grocery shopping, laundry and kept the house running smoothly. We were sad to see her leave today. I am sure she will be back soon! We are already realizing how much she did to keep the house running. She squeezed in some snuggle time too!
- Owen's Birth weight was 8lbs 14.6 oz, he dropped to 8 lbs 5 oz when we left the hospital, at his first dr apt he was 8 lbs 3 oz (we are starting to get a little worried); but at 1 week old he was back up to 8 lbs 7oz!!! They want another weight check on Tuesday or Wednesday, I am going to have to find someone to drive me.
- He is such a good baby, so snugly and kissable. We love gazing into his eyes when he has some alert moments! Everyone can't stop talking about his cheeks and let me tell you they get kissed by mommy A LOT! I personally think they are better than all the cookies (and milk) in the world!
So of course the genetic predictions have started and Chris and I are thinking:
- Daddy's ears
- Daddy's nose until about Wednesday and now Chris thinks its my nose, I think it looks like every baby nose.
- Blond Hair, that gets darker in adulthood
- My eye color~gold in the middle fading out to a green/blue color
- Neana thinks he will have her skin color, olive...but Chris and I are both very fair skin so I am seriously doubting it.
- I think he has Daddy's lips
- Daddy's hands and my thumb
- my organized toes (big to small), as for foot size he got daddy's big feet!
Over all we are slowly adjusting, it has been so busy with tons of visitors and appointments that I am still feeling overwhelmed. Seems each day I think the next will be a quiet day and things seem to come up.
Mommy Updates:
- I weighed myself and I lost about 20 lbs after the c-section!! Woot! Hopefully, the breastfeeding will suck off the rest of them, the only issue is that I am still STARVING all the time to keep up with this growing baby so dieting isn't in the equation yet.
- Good news is that my belly button is back to being an innie!
- My feet have come back too, they were so swollen and painful but I have feet again and hopefully ankles soon!
- The incision is still really soar, it doesn't hurt, its more like a soar muscle though if I do too much it feels like it is pulling and that isn't fun.
- My back has a permanent knot in it under my right shoulder blade. I think it is from leaning over to breast feed and sitting in one position for too long. No matter how much I heat or massage it wont ease up. It is like an ache that feels like it goes through into my lungs. It is hard to keep my shoulders back with all the new weight in the front.
- It is nice that my body is returning to "my" body...but we still have a long ways to go! Or I should say everything but my boobs are mine again those are Owen's for a while still :)


Oh Jeanna! He is gorgeous! Congrats on the breastfeeding working! That is great. Do you have a my brest friend? It SAVED my back and arms while we were breastfeeding. It's WAY better than the boppy. Just a suggestion.
ReplyDeleteI hope things start to calm down. The first weeks are crazy. When everyone's gone you'll probably start wishing they were back!
Good luck with everything!
He is adorable!!! I just wanted to tell you I had the same problem with my back, but it does get better. Once you really get the hang of nursing and he gets a little bigger it will relax. Congrats again, so happy for you and your family!!!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! Congratulations! I don't think that "knot" will go away so on- I still have it from holding my baby in positions for a long period and I think being a bit tense for the first few weeks! It's a pain with love though.
ReplyDeleteKudos to you for sticking with the nursing! It is rocky in the beginning... but so worth it in the long run (and, best of all, it's FREE!) I used a "foot stool" to help keep my posture "aligned" and that definitely helped. Also - if you can master the lying down to nurse in bed... that is WONDERFUL (and perfect for snuggling with baby :-)
ReplyDeleteGood for you for sticking with it. The beginning is NOT easy. Medela lanolin is great and ive hear amazing things about APNO. Ask your OB for a script. Its a cream. Im def getting it next go around. But I promise it gets better and it does become second nature and a time you enjoy with Owen. Im sure you have tons of support but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Im 12+ months and still going strong.
ReplyDeleteHe is so beautiful. I am so happy for you guys. Hang in there mama, I'm sure the breastfeeding and pain etc will ease. you are doing GREAT!
ReplyDeleteI'm so thrilled for you guys!! Yay for keeping up the breastfeeding! It will get better/easier, I promise!
ReplyDeleteHey missy sorry I have been MIA but I know you know how I feel:)....Breastfeeding for us has gone pretty well but I hear you on the sore nips...my little man likes to do this intial bit/clamp down thing when he first starts out and yikes does it hurt...Then for the first week he would only nurse from the Left breast but we met with lactation and they gave me some tips and now we are feeding from both sides..Yipee...I have also been pumping after some sessions because my girls are producing tons of extra milk so why not start stocking up now right:) Oh I wanted to say that instead of using a Boppy for breastfeeding I have been using the my brest friend pillow gives ton more support for mommy and baby maybe try that.
ReplyDeleteHe is such a doll...I love his little outfit I wanted to get that one but I have way to many outfits as it is so I refrained but maybe someone will still get it for him...
Wow to you for shedding 20lb with the c section! I honestly gained weight at the hospital with all the fluids they were giving me and then when I came home my lower body decided to blow up like a blimp...I had flintstone feed and couldnt even bend my ankles and then with the girls so big I was very bloated...but now the swelling is almost gone and I am down 10lb from what I was so 15 more to go but I feel a ton better...
Ok on to reading more of your post love the new background by the way