I have to have a whole post dedicated to our nurses at Woman's Hospital.
As we got checked in we meet a nurse, Liz, who is also a member of the local Junior League with me. It was so comforting to have that initial connection with someone in the hospital. It felt like I had a friend in the hospital from the start. She already had another patient so she wasn't going to be our nurse, but said that our nurse was great, Sandra.
Sandra was with us from 9ish when we check in, till 5pm when her shift ended. She was so good to us, making sure we knew where the drinks were and as comfortable as possible. She had to go over a lot of hospital stuff and she made it simple and quick. We mentioned to her that we didn't have maternity coverage and she said she would help us out by not starting the IV until right before the epidural. She was a caring woman and very compassionate to our situation. Sandra had been with the hospital for a long time and quickly put all our concerns at ease (as much as was possible). She was so good to answer all my questions, even when I repeated them several times as my brain was not working correctly.
Due to the lack of other activity on the floor Sandra was let go a little early at 5 and Liz, whom we had met that morning was with us till 7:30 pm. Liz was super sweet again, and we could tell she wanted to do more, but that there just wasn't any more to do. We did spent a good long time talking through what we would be going happening in the next few days and she was very patient with us.
Christine was our woman. She was very kind and will always hold a special place in our hearts. Christine realized I didn't have an egg crate on the bed and got me one really quick. It really did make such a better experience in that hospital bed. When I was hungry and was only allowed to drink clears, she was so willing to call my doctor and request a sandwich--even making sure it was a fresh sandwich from the cart. Christine could tell I was in pain, but wasn't ready for the epidural so she suggested IV meds. I didn't know IV meds was an option till that moment. What a perfect suggestion those meds ended up being. They knocked me out and made me so comfortable. I think that having those meds in my system made it easier and less stressful getting the epidural. I don't think Christine or anyone else thought our boys' births would have been so quick to arrive, but I am so glad she was the one to help bring their bodies into this world. She cried with us for our babies and tenderly lifting them to and from our room. If we had had to chose whom to hand over our two boys to forever, it would have been her. I can't thank her enough for her compassion and carring spirit through the hardest time of our life.
Lastly, at 7:30 am we had a new nurse, Jennifer. It was hard to see Christine go as we were so connected with her. But, Jennifer was wonderful in her own way. I had to have help getting out of the bed after the epidural and she acomplished this with a quickness no nonsence attitude that I liked. We still had to make some decisions about the babies and testing and of course there was paperwork to sign, but Jennifer had this undercontrol even though we felt like everything was spinning out of control. But after everything was signed and I was released to leave, it was great to have Jennifer there to help us in the process of getting discharged quickly. She pushed my chair out of the room, the only room I would ever hold by sons in and held my sholders as I cried.
I can't not say enough about the nursing staff at Woman's hospital. They are some very strong women to have this as part of their job. I can't thank them enough for making the hardest experience of my life somewhat easier.
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


How sweet of your to blog about the nurses. After the birth of my second daughter I was compelled to write a thank you note to all of the nurses at the OB ward. I made sure to mention them all by name and something special they had done for us. One even called our room to ask us if we wanted to skip hospital food and order take out with the nurses! Later I ran into one of those nurses and she explained how special was note was. Please send a note or just a copy of this post to the nurses and maybe a copy to the hospital admin. I am so sorry for your loss and I do not even begin to understand your pain. I pray for you and I ask God to comfort you and to grant you the child or children that you so desire. He has the answers and we choose to trust in Him. God bless!
ReplyDeleteI am reading this with tears welling up in my eyes. What a wonderful tribute to these ladies. I'm so glad they were with you during this experience...it sounds like God made sure you had the only the best.
ReplyDeleteContinuing to think of you!
Jeanna,
ReplyDeleteYou are a very strong woman to share your story with us. I know your pain, watching my daughter lose 3 pregnancies. I cried with your first post of your loss and continue to pray for your family.
Thinking of you and your husband often.....even though I do not know you.....I feel like I do!
Shelly
I had two Jennifer's and both were awesome. I bet you had one of them. Every nurse at the hospital there was amazing! I'm glad you had the same experience.
ReplyDelete