Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Owen's Birthstory: Part 2

So, between the water breaking and jumping in the car it was only 15 minutes.  The drive to the hospital was 45 minutes.  We began by calling our parents to let them know what was happening and had them make the phone calls to the extended family.  I began noticing my contractions were getting stronger.  They were about 8 minutes apart when we left for the hospital and about 4 minutes apart when we got there.  Let me tell you they were no joke it was the real thing.  As I said the drive should have taken 45 minutes, but Chris got us there in 36!  I kept having to tell him, SLOW down~even though the contractions were kicking my butt.  I just didn't want him to get a ticket.  I kept saying to Chris that isn't not fair to have labor before when we know we were ending up with a c-section anyway; he just responded with pats of love and I know, I'm sorrys.

At the hospital, Chris dropped me off at the maternity admissions entrance.  I filled out the little sheet of paper and soon the woman was putting an arm bracelet on me and I had signed all the forms.  They took me back to an exam room, we got to listen to his perfect heartbeat and see my contractions build.

At this point, they took blood and were checking for the next available OR.  We thought we were going to have to have the on call Dr do the c/s, but I let the nurses know that our Dr. L was on call at 1pm (it was about 12:30 at this point) and was going to try to make it to do the surgery herself.  If I have learned anything it is that YOU have to be so proactive in the hospital.  You need to know what you want and let EVERYONE know!

Things get really fast and blurry at this point.  Basically, they got the phone call from Dr. L that she was able to switch her surgeries and I got the 1ish spot.  I was then wheeled on the bed to the OR.  I met so many people so fast and before I knew it Chris was left behind and I was headed to the spinal block and we were having OUR BABY!!!

I got really stressed with the separation from Chris.  There was too many hospital people running around and telling me a lot of info very quickly.  I felt I didn't have the time to process and the contractions were making it difficult to think.  Before I knew it I was getting the spinal block and clinging to a nurse named Wanda.  Poor lady she offered her arm and I was hugging her shoulder for dear life and about broke her back.  Soon the spinal was in and they kept asking if I could feel the pinch, yes, yes, yes, yes it is getting lighting, did you feel that?....me: what?  dr: we are good!  Thankfully, Dr L kept reassuring me she wouldn't start without making sure I was numb.  This is where another nurse was talking to me and I was like please distract me; but it didn't work very well and I began to tear up.  FINALLY, Chris came in.  Later, he told me that they brought him in because I was losing it and tears were here.  It is really weird to know they are about to slice you open, even though it is a surgery that happens everyday.

Basically, the next bit is a huge blur.  They didn't really tell me they had started, but they said he is almost here and I broke down just so ready to know he was here ALIVE.  Then I felt this weight lift and they said he was out.  Then it seemed like forever for him to cry but I think it was only a few seconds.  They lifted his body over the curtain for a few seconds and he looked like a newborn covered in the gook.  Then they whisked him to the room next door before I could blink.  I could sort of see him through the glass, but Chris was blocking the view!  Finally, I said something to a nurse and they told the new daddy let momma see!  I could see him laying in the little table and just crying.  He was so light pink compared to now.

After a LONG while they let me see him.  It was so surreal to lay on the table like in the movies and take the pictures like I've seen others do.  I couldn't really see him because the blanket he was wrapped in was so bulky and they had the funniest cheapy hat on him.  It looked like a stocking with a rubber band at the top! 

That picture is on Chris' laptop and I have no time to even think of getting those picture in the near future.

So, Owen headed to the nursery and Chris followed.  It was a long time while they were fixing me up.  I do remember hearing the staples and thankfully a nurse was nearby to talk to me to distract me!!  I kept asking a bunch of questions because I didn't want to think about what they were actually doing behind that curtain.

They wheeled me into the post op room and my first question was "when do I get my baby back? I want to breastfeed him ASAP!  They were not very promising.  I know they checked me for a bunch of stuff and started the pain meds with a shot in my leg while I was still numb.  I turned down about 4 medications while I was back there.  I didn't want anything that would keep Owen away from me a moment longer. Let me say my Dr. rocks, I heard her talking to the nurses and telling them to get the baby down here and about our loss last year. 

All of a sudden the curtain pulled back and I saw Chris and a hospital bassinet!  Oh, my I can't even describe the feeling when they put him in my arms.  I still feel like an impostor, but I am so in love with my new little man.  We got him to latch!  Everyone was so impressed!  Too soon did they have to head back to the nursery. 

I remember traveling to my room and hearing our families yelling hello!! I waved from my bed, they were all behind me.  Finally, back in our room we were a little family together and soon our things and visitors arrived. 
me and my baby, my Owen baby

the new man that is rockin' my heart!



15 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What a beautiful little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet! I have followed your story since the loss of your twins. I am so happy to know that all is well. Thanks for sharing! Owen is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is adorable! Oh, I am so happy for you - I am grinning at my monitor like an idiot!

    - Erin B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing the rest of the story. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations ... I am so happy for you! He is so beautiful. I wish I had a newborn to snuggle - cherish these moments as they will fly by so quickly.

    Remember to take care of yourself too - you need time to heal and rest (which will be so hard to do!)

    Congrats again!

    Katlyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is SO cute and you look so happy! Congratulations! I'm glad everything went (relatively) smoothly and he arrived safe and sound. Take care of yourself!

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Owen is a beautiful baby and you look beautiful. Owen is the answer to so many prayers: this is the baby that prayer built. Praising God for Owen's safe arrival and that you are home, exactly where a family should be :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy for you and Chris. I am ballin' reading this wicked sweet birth story of little Owen! Love you guys. congrats again! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look wonderful. Owen is such a cute little man!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy for you. This post made me tear up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Momma :) Enjoy your babymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a crazy happy day:) He is just the cutest little man...I cant wait to be joining you hopefully by the end of today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What were his birth stats?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jeanna - Congratulations to you and Chris!! I'm been following your blog for over a year and I've been so excited to read your birth story and see the pictures of your little Owen. You, Chris, Owen and your Baby Boy Holmes Angels are an inspiration to so many of us. Much love to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy for you and Chris! Isn't it the weirdest feeling of a "weight being lifted"? I delivered Charlotte vaginally, but it was the same thing, a weight being removed. I had an epidural too so I could only feel the weight. It was bizarre. He is just perfect! I'm SO GLAD breastfeeding is working for you. It helped me lose the weight really fast and Charlotte is doing great.

    Here's our birth story-

    http://somebodysparents.blogspot.com/2010/11/our-birth-story-november-17-2010.html

    I wrote this about breastfeeding- http://somebodysparents.blogspot.com/2011/01/boobs-bottles-and-blogs-january-12-2011_14.html

    ReplyDelete