Thursday, February 24, 2011

we are officially in full CD mode!

Here is his first fluffy butt!  This was Tuesday.  After a blowout disposable diaper that got on both of us, I decided those newborn diapers were a little big as it leaked out his leg opening.  We were out of all the other newborn diapers and his circumcision is mostly healed, not needing Vaseline anymore and his cord fell off several days prior so I felt we were ready to take the plunge.  It has been a gradual learning curve for us.  We figured him out using the easy disposables, though I felt guilty at all the waste we were throwing away.  Then we have added the cloth diapers and once the disposable wipes run out we will start with cloth wipes.  So far so good with just the CD's.  We started mid day on Tuesday and I had just enough diapers to make it to this morning.  I do have back up prefolds, but the fitted are so much easier and I haven't figured out the prefolds and snappies yet.

The fitted diapers are in the dryer right now!!  
Can't wait to put the fluff away later!  


What we are using right now:
  • 18 fitted newborn Kissaluvs:
    • they are on the last snap!  He is such a big boy and won't be in these for very long
  • 6 thirstie covers: could have done with just 4
  • 12 prefolds:
    • these are our back ups as most mom's recommend at least 24 diapers to get through 2 days.
  • 2 snappies: to hold the prefolds on
Some random thoughts so far:
  • Plantwise Wet Bags size medium:  The goal was to use one bag till all the diapers were dirty and have the second bag for while the other is in the wash.  I was a bit nervous about opening the wet bags we were using to keep the diapers in, but they didn't stink at all; though I did put a little diaper pail powder in the bottom of the bags when we started.  I am disappointed at the reviews that suggested the medium sized plantwise bags.  We filled up the first one and I had to use the second one late last night.  I know that one will definitely will not be big enough once we start putting cloth wipes in there too.  Both bags got rinsed out and are hanging dry right now. I am hoping once we move to the Best Bottom diapers and the inserts are smaller than the fitted that this will work out better. If not I might have to purchase one large bag and then use the two mediums ones together. 
  • I am having to get used to his big booty.  I loved looking at my tiny baby and this big butt is a change.  It is hard to sit him up sometimes to burp him and his newborn clothes are REALLY not going to fit much longer with this fluffy butt.  Makes me sad that he is already getting close to out growing some of his clothes!
  • Newborn clothes:  seems that Owen may have really short arms or a really long body. I am constantly having to roll up his sleeves, but his feet fit perfect in the length.  So much for the mittens!  I never even put them on him because he HAS to have his hands free to put in his face.  He likes to sleep with both arms up at his head.
  • A friend of a friend/woman who used to come to my old office (small world) just offered to send us 6-Bum Genius 4.0 Organic AIO cloth diapers!!!  Needless to say I am so excited to try them out and she has already prepped them!! Thanks Haven!!!  I just know my big boy will be fitting in them in no time!!
Well, speaking of that little boy, it is getting time to eat again and then hopefully naptime for us; if this new mommy lets herself.

7 comments:

  1. Yay for his cute blue butt! :) I think it makes him look smaller having that big diaper cover on! Pretty darn cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWE...love the fluff!!! Thanks for sharing what you're using and how it's been working, we're planning to cd and I had planned to use the same type initially with a newborn. I already have a small stash from our last pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good job with the cloth diapers! I think you just get used to them having a big bottom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I remember that! How are you liking it so far? Have you gotten used to the big old booty it gives him yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you like the BGs. We have used them since day 3 and Maggie is still wearing them :)

    I have never used the wetbag (except the small one I carry in my diaper bag) but I have really liked this dry pail. It is the perfect size for a load of diapers. Here is the link:

    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2373657

    And I never had problems with odor until around 6 months (and it is the urine that will stink not the poo)... but these work well with this pail.

    http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=145

    Glad you guys are doing so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fluff butt. I want to get into cloth diapers but so far don't even have the first one. Everyone bought us tons of disposables. go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I love his little booty! :)

    ReplyDelete