Tuesday, November 13, 2012

IVF Day 1: Baseline u/s & b/w

Ok.  I have done 3+ weeks of birth control pills, but today was the IVF class and I consider it Day 1 in our IVF cycle.

Chris and I arrived at the RE's extra early.  I think it was just nerves, but we both didn't want to be late.  The first thing we did was have some blood work done.  Both of us had several STD tests done and I had a few extras including an estrogen level (that came back higher than they wanted, but I will get to that).  Then we went back to the wonderful woman in financial. I swear she makes it as fun as paying could be!  We shelled out $9555.00.  OUCH!  And that doesn't even cover everything!

Then we were taken into the conference room with one of the nurses.  Kim was amazing going through all the paperwork and how to mix injections and taking it one slow step at a time!  About ten minutes in she asked when we wanted to start.  Ummmm.....Today, who pays this and puts it off?  LOL!  Bascally, they seem to start women on Wednesdays and Saturdays.  She said we could go ahead and do a baseline u/s today and ordered having my estrogen with some of the blood they already took from my arm.

After about one hundred sheets of paper later, we had signed our life away (it might be as much as buying a house), talked about different injections till we were blue in the face and put a tentative IVF schedule together!  We were one step closer.

At this point we headed to the u/s room to find out that my ovaries were a little more active than they preferred at this stage.  There was one large follicle on each ovary that was a borderline 10.  Then when my estrogen level came back at a 75 (I think they wanted a 65 or less) they added in some extra shots to our schedule.  What is an extra shot or two at this point I feel like a pro!

So, here is our schedule for the next week:
Nov. 13 (today): baseline u/s & b/w; take ganarelix shot and birth control pill tonight
Nov. 14 (Tomorrow/Wednesday): take ganarelix shot
Nov. 15 (Thursday): repeat estrogen b/w; hear back from nurse with further orders
Nov. 17 (Saturday): start Follistim/Menupur
Nov. 21: u/s to check on progress
the rest is a little up in the air, but the basic is a hopeful ER (egg retrieval) Nov 26-29 and ET (embryo transfer) Dec 1-5! Meaning hopefully we would know if it worked around the 11th!

On our way home, I called my mom, then my "wife" as Chris calls her and then our online pharmacy called us.  Good news is that we have met our deductible and our insurance company is actually paying for HALF of the meds!  Saving us $600!  Plus the RE's office gave us 2 nights worth of the ganarelix that saves us $200!!  SWEET!  Thank you Jesus for small gifts before we could even pray for them!

So, I won't be doing a picture every night, but here is tonight's IVF meds!

No comments:

Post a Comment